NOTE: You can only connect one topic to one grade item, and you can't link discussion forums to grade items, just topics.
Create a Grade Item in the Grade Book
- Click on Grades and then Grades from the navigation bar in your course.
- Click the New button, and then choose Item from the list.
- Choose grade item type Numeric by clicking on the blue link.
- Enter a Name in the textbox.
- Enter the Maximum Points value in the Grading section.
- Click the Save and Close button to exit.
Link Discussion Topic to Grade Item
Now that you have a grade item created, you can link it to a discussion topic.
- Click on Activities and then Discussions from the navigation bar.
- Find your discussion topic in the list, and click the drop down menu to the right of the title.
This is just an example. Your topic and forum titles will be different.
- Click Edit Topic from the list.
- Click on the Assessment tab at the top of the page.
- Choose a Grade Item from the drop down menu.
- Enter a point value in the Score Out Of field. This point value should match the point value you entered for the grade item in step 5 in the section above.
- Click Save and Close to exit.