You can use the Assignments tool to collect group work. Students in a group can submit on behalf of their group members, and see work that other members have submitted to the Assignment Folder.
Before you create the Assignment, you'll need to create student groups, if you have not already done so. Groups can be linked to multiple D2L tools. For example, you may use the same groups in Discussions.
NOTE: The Assignments tool was called the Dropbox tool prior to a D2L update in Summer 2017.
Create Student Groups
NOTE: If you have already created discussion groups, you can skip to the next section.
You will have several different options about the kind of groups you can create (number of groups, number of members, how enrollment works, etc), and it can be a bit tricky. If you're not sure about how to set up your groups, contact the OAI faculty support desk for help. It is much easier to correct group issues before students start submitting work.
- Click on the People tab in the navigation bar, and then Groups
from the dropdown list.
- Click on the New Category button.
- A category is a specific configuration of your students into groups. Multiple categories allow you to have multiple kinds of groups setup. For example, you might want to divide your students into large groups for one activity, and into smaller groups for another assignment, during the same course.
- Enter a Category Name into the text box.
- Pick an Enrollment Type from the list.
- This step is important; you can't change the group type after you save.
- Self-enrollment means that students sign up for a group themselves, by clicking on People and then Groups.
- Depending on the group type you select, either enter the Number of Groups or the Number
of Users per group.
- Under Advanced Properties, you can optionally select to have D2L auto-enroll new
users, and/or randomize users in groups.
- Click the Save button
Create a Group Assignment Folder
- Click on Activities from the course navigation bar, and select Assignments from the list.
- Click on the New Submission Folder button.
- Enter a Name for the assignment in the text box.
- Choose the Group submission folder option from the Folder Type options, and select a Group Category from the drop down menu.
- If you want to set date restrictions for when students can submit files, click on the Restrictions tab at the top of the page. Otherwise, skip to step 8.
- You can use the Has Due Date checkbox and date fields to set a due date for the assignment. This means that students can submit both before and after the due date, but late submissions are flagged.
- If you want to restrict the time period where students can submit assignments, use the Has Start Date and/or Has End Date checkboxes and date fields.
- Click the Save and Close button to finish.